It’s Google I/O 2017 week and the tech giant has just announced the winners for its second annual Google Play Awards! Click here to see the full results and download the apps yourself.
Last year, at Google I/O 2016, Google held its first-ever Google Play Awards Ceremony during the three-day-long event in Mountain View, San Francisco at Google’s CA headquarters. The ceremony which honors the best apps and games submitted to Google’s Play Store over the course of the year is to be a new annual tradition. Google is doing a great thing to give back to the developer community that spans across nations all throughout the world. Many of the nominees came a long way to actually attend the event in person, though press and all else were not invited inside. You can, however, watch Google call up each of the winners to the stage in the video that was once a live-stream at the bottom of this post.
Like last year, Google held the ceremony during its I/O Developer Conference, but on May 18th. The tech giant released five candidates for each award, but only one each was able to take home the prize. This year’s categories, as shown below, included Standout Indie, Standout Startup, Best Android Wear Experience, Best TV Experience, Best VR Experience, Best AR Experience, Best Accessibility Experience, Best Social Impact, Best App for Kids, overall Best App, and overall Best Game. Some of these were new for this year’s award show, and as technology evolves, we expect other categories to be made for future competition. Winners are chosen by a team of Google employees, but perhaps next year, the public will be given an opportunity to chime in!
Google announced the winners, and we have them for you down below. You’ll probably be familiar with at least a few of the apps or games if you’re reading this, but if you’re not, we have included the download links shall you want to try any of them out. Some hit the top lists on Google’s Play Store during course of the year, but others may not have. If you take a look though, each of the contenders rightfully deserved to be considered for an award. The below comes from Android Developers.
- Games from indie developers that focus on artistic design, gameplay mechanics and overall polish. And the nominees are……
- Causality by Loju
- Kingdom: New Lands by Raw Fury
- Mars: Mars by Pomelo Games
- Mushroom 11 by Untame
- Reigns by DevolverDigital
Winner: Mushroom 11 by Untame
- CastBox by CastBox.FM
- Digit by Hello Digit Inc.
- Discord by Hammer & Chisel Inc.
- HOOKED by Telepathic
- Simple Habit by Simple Habit
Winner: HOOKED by Telepathic
Best Android Wear Experience
- Bring! by Bring! Labs AG
- Foursquare City Guide by Foursquare
- Lifesum by Lifesum
- Runtastic by Runtastic
- Seven by Perigee AB
Winner: Runtastic by Runtastic
Best TV Experience
- AbemaTV by AbemaTV Inc.
- Haystack TV by Haystack TV
- KKBOX by KKBOX International Ltd.
- Netflix by Netflix Inc.
- Red Bull TV by Red Bull
Winner: Red Bull TV by Red Bull
Best VR Experience
- Gunjack 2: End of Shift by CCP Games
- Mekorama by Martin Magni
- The Arcslinger by Big Red Button Entertainment, Inc.
- The Turning Forest by Media Applications Technologies for the BBC
- Virtual Virtual Reality by Tender Claws
Winner: Virtual Virtual Reality by Tender Claws
Best AR Experience
- Crayola Color Blaster by Legacy Games
- Dinosaurs Among Us by American Museum of Natural History
- Holo by 8i LTD
- Wayfair View by Wayfair, LLC
- WOORLD by Funomena
Winner: WOORLD by Funomena
Best App for Kids
- Animal Jam – Play Wild! by WildWorks
- Hot Wheels: Race Off by Hutch Games
- Teeny Titans by Cartoon Network
- Think! Think! by Hanamaru Lab
- Toca Life: Vacation by Toca Boca
Winner: Animal Jam – Play Wild! by WildWorks
Best Multiplayer Game
- Games built to connect gamers in competitive and engaging multiplayer experiences. And the nominees are…
- Dawn of Titans by NaturalMotionGames Ltd
- FIFA Mobile Soccer by Electronic Arts
- Hearthstone by Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.
- Lords Mobile by IGG.com
- Modern Strike Online by Game Development Ltd.
Winner: Hearthstone by Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.
- Citymapper by Citymapper Limited
- Fabulous: Motivate Me! by TheFabulous
- Memrise by Memrise
- Money Lover by Finsify
- Quik by GoPro
Winner: Memrise by Memrise
- Choices by Pixelberry
- Fire Emblem Heroes by Nintendo Co. Ltd.
- Lineage 2 Revolution by Netmarble Games
- Pokémon GO by Niantic Inc
- Transformers: Forged to Fight by Kabam
Winner: Transformers: Forged to Fight by Kabam
Best Accessibility Experience
- A Blind Legend by DOWINO
- Eye-D by GingerMind Technologies
- IFTTT by IFTTT
- Open Sesame by Sesame Enable
- SwiftKey Symbols by SwiftKey Greenhouse
Winner: IFTTT by IFTTT
Best Social Impact
- Charity Miles by Charity Miles
- Peek Acuity by Peak Vision
- Prodeaf Translator by ProDeaf Tecnologias Assistivas
- Sea Hero Quest by GLITCHERS
- ShareTheMeal by United Nations
Winner: ShareTheMeal by United Nations
Do you agree with the winners Google selected? Let us know your opinion in the comment section and we’ll be down there to join in!
We’ll keep you posted on everything Google I/O 2017 right as it happens! Follow us on social media for up to the minute updates from Google’s Developer Conference or click here for more of the latest app and games news.